Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

Responding to msg by [email protected] (Mike Duvos) on Tue, 16 Aug
 9:21 AM

>Ordinary counterfeiting is analog.  Close inspection
>will always  reveal differences which can be used to
>distinguish fake money.

However, NY Times Monday reported in long front-page article on
spread of digitized forged checks, including dupe of magnetic
ID.

Quotes:

"The proliferation of desktop publishing has brought a new
growth industry, the counterfeiting of virtually undetectable
fraudulent checks, and banks and law enforcement officials say
the cost to the economy could reach $1 billion this year.

* * *

The American Banking Association says [this] is the No. 1 crime
problem facing banks.

* * *

It is much easier counterfeiting checks than cash."

End quotes.

Says center of activity is California but has spread to all
parts of the US.

My standard pitiful offer to send this article upon email
request.

John