Re: Are \\"they\\" really the enemy? (Systems commentary)

We have met the enemy, and it is not the system.

Responding to msg by [email protected] (the real Jim Dixon):

Regardless of how this discussion began originally, the only
part that I was commenting on had to do with John's remark that
since governments & societies are both beastly, composed of
people of that sort of character,  what is it that we think we
are going to do if the governing system of operations is
overthrown? From this I read:  what difference does it make if
the present system (the best in the world) is removed, since
the objections to it are not also resolved by that action,
seeing as how the character of its parts (the people) remains
the same; and what is thereby left, if it is successfully
un-done? (anticipation: more of the same, but worse, and more
difficult for the individual to deal with the consequences)?
This was said in the context of a discussion of systems, with
reference to what the system which we are governed by
(controlled) offers, and how this compares to the feasibility &
success of systems per se to accomplish desired ends.

It is true that systems are of different kinds & types:  from
the non-conscious physical which existed prior to the presence
of humans on the planet,  to fully conscious, reasoned plans of
action (as you said:  designed).  A family may be conceived (by
some people) as a system of operations and sometimes it
functions that way, although lately they seem to be mostly
dis-functional.  Families are started whether anyone is fully
self-aware, or in control of, their nature; it's usually the
result of other motivations unrelated to wanting to control
mankind so that it can be morally improved and will function
cooperatively as a harmonious whole.

But a system designed for the purpose of corralling the
disparate energies of a large group of diverse individuals (who
are not necessarily in the family) cannot (should not) merely
"bumble along" in a mindless sort of way, supposing that
everyone is going to agree to and abide by every decree which
is delivered to them, for the satisfaction of a purpose which
they may not fully appreciate.  Human beings are pretty
adaptable, but if the governors blithely promulgate measures
for living which grates on the sensibilties of the
constituency, this is the time when surprising aspects of
'human nature' rears a heretofore invisible head.  This is when
they begin to 'raise hell'.  This is when you realize that it
would have been better for someone to know a little more about
the facts & the truth & the real nature of mental beings, so
that these problems could have been prevented  (but
nooooooooooooo, there have to be loud, angry debates and
arguments and fights and wars, etc.)  Apparently, SomeBody
didn't know what to expect, didn't plan on it, or didn't care.

I don't just propose that a person exercise, develop, and use
their own judgement:  I recommend it.

One may be caught in a system which they were just born into
and seems to be 'just there'.  But exceptional people, like
Thomas Aquinas, might decide to devote their life to reason and
seek to know what lies beyond the immediate given.  A system is
useful for coordinating efforts towards a particular goal, if
all of those who participate in the activities are rewarded by
the results.   Whether it was there when you first became
conscious of being alive or whether it is a recently bright
idea, if it does not bring satisfactory results & returns, what
could it make sense to suffer it?  You may not have a choice
initially about the system within which you find yourself, but
you will be led to the felt need to make alternative choices by
your unhappiness with it;  you will have to decide what to do
about it  -  stay or go, improve or tear down?  You will have
to think about what you depend upon (or whom) for the
realization of your requirements or desires (something the
Bengalis realized subconsciously), and you will have to take a
measure of your happiness/disatisfaction and try to determine
what will work better.  Covertly or otherwise.

Blanc

I really don't mean to prolong a discussion which lies so far
away from the list topics;  I do think, however, that there are
reasons for the way things are & the way things work, and the
better grasp that one has of these reasons, the better that one
can compute regarding the right actions to take or the
judgements which one will bring to bear upon the actions of
others as they affect oneself.