Creating privacy crises: Society hacking

> In the composition of my last message, I was thinking in the back of
>  my mind about how we could foment an information privacy crisis.  This
>  could very well be a Good Thing, a societal hack to serve as a wake-
>  up call.

    Extremely.  Speaking as someone who derives particular joy from
culture jamming in all of its forms, it sounds like a great thing to do
if it is done appropriately.

> At the HOPE conference, there was someone selling CD-ROMs of the DMV
>  records for Oregon for $125.  The same folks promise to add more states
>  soon: next in line is Texas.

    It's a good idea; especially since the information is public record
an is available from the state government on tape for a reasonable fee.
Unfortunately, from what I've heard from people who actually have the
database (for Florida), it works out to be several gigabytes of data,
which is unfortunately too large to fit on a CD-ROM unless severely
compressed.

> Perhaps one could generate a privacy crisis by collecting that information
>  and conducting a mass mailing to every person in the database: "we have
>  this information on you.  So could anybody with $125.  Call your congress
>  critter and complain."

    Perhaps - but it is extremely likely that the local government would
take a rather dim view of it.  The DMV record data is probably restricted
by some clause or other to non-marketing purposes.  Before trying
something like that I would suggest speaking to a lawyer or being willing
to have large legal problems.

> Some people don't consider their DMV records critical -- so perhaps a
>  mailing from a company of their credit history would open their eyes
>  (More effort than the $125 + postage, but probably a better yield).

    This would definately get you thrown in jail and your CBI account
killed.  It's a violation of CBI's use agreement and also against the
fair credit reporting act.

> It's just a thought and it would require some amount of time & money,
>  but it's a doable hack with finite resources.

    I think there's a happy medium where you can shake people up without
going to jail in the process.  :)

> Thoughts?  Is this totally off the wall, or do y'all think that somebody
>  with a small but not tiny amount of money would be into doing this?

    Yes.  It's doable, but once again, I would seriously suggest a
different approach.

-jon
( THEY CAN STOP THE PARTY, BUT THEY CAN'T STOP THE FUTURE )