Re: e$ as "travellers check?

On Mon, 22 Aug 1994, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

[....]

> Their whim, for the past few decades, has been to reduce as much as
> possible the capacity to engage in untraceable transactions. Because
> of that, any bank proposing to improve the capacity to produce such
> transactions is going to get into trouble with the regulators, who are
> acting to try to lessen such capacities. It really doesn't matter what
> the details of existing law are.

It's slighly more than a whim too, I think.  I think I recall something
about encouraging use of *traceable* electronic funds transfer for more
transactions is something like an official statement from one of the not
too distant G7 meetings.

Another point not directly related to Perry's post:  This list seems to
"know" that people *want* anonymous digital cash.  Does anybody actually
know *how* *much* people want this?  Is Joe Common willing to pay
something extra for this anonymity functionality?  Does anybody have
facts about this, or is it just assumptions??  "Since we think it's good,
everybnody must want it!"

-- Rolf

Rolf Michelsen                           "Nostalgia isn't what it
Email: [email protected]     used to be..."
Phone: +47 73 59 87 33