Re: Anonymous questionnaires

On Wed, 24 Aug 1994, Lucky Green wrote:

> My partner is a participant in a long term psychological study. I have been
> asked to fill out a questionnaire to aid in this study. Some of the
> questions address issues that I would never answer non-anonymously. After
> speaking with the research director, I ended up with the following problem:
> is there a way that would allow the institute to

Interesting problem.  The suggestion (by whom?) to use two envelopes is
useable as long as there is a trusted party involved.  This is very
similar to the way such surveys are performed in Norway:  Each questinare
has a random number on top and a trusted party is able to link numbers to
participants' names and check who has answered and so on.  Researchers
only see numbers and not names.  The problem is that the trusted party is
often very close to the researchers using the survey...

Here is a suggestion for an electronic solution based on anonymous
electronic coins:

You fill in your form and submit it electronically to the survey
organizer.  The organizer acknowledges your form by giving you a blind
signature much in the same way as a withdrawal in a Chaumian electronic
cash system.  Later you unblind the signature and send it to the
organizer together with name and adress to be registered as a
participant.  The blind signature prevents linking of your name to the
returned form but still proves that you have returned a form.

> 1. Correlate my answers to the answers of my partner.

Not directly provided by this simple solution, but the suggestion made by
Stephen D. Williams to link you and your partner by writing down the same
random number on the returned forms can be used.  There are other ways to
link anonymous transfers too, but I won't come into that now...

> 2. Verify that I have indeed sent in a filled out questionnaire (and send
> me a check for participating).

OK.  They get your name together with the unblinded "coin" to prove your
participation.

> 3. Allow a supervisory agency, such as the U.S. Department of Health and
> Human Services, to verify that the researchers did not just make up all the
> data - that is to allow an audit.

Same as above.

> 4. Protect my privacy by making it impossible to correlate my name to the
> answers given.

OK due to properties in the anonymous cash schemes.

The problem with this seemingly simple approach is that it requires an
anonymous online connection between you and the survey organizer.
Confidential and/or anonymous channels does not seem to be "in" among
network providers today... :-(

-- Rolf

Rolf Michelsen                           "Nostalgia isn't what it
Email: [email protected]     used to be..."
Phone: +47 73 59 87 33