Re: Are RSA licenses fungible?

> Paul Robichaux writes
>
> > So.. if I buy 20 licenses of ViaCrypt PGP, then proceed to use PGP
> > 2.6-based code in my applications, does that constitute a legitimate
> > solution?
>
> I had a similar question while trying to decide what version of PGP I'll
> be switching to, and had the following dialogue with Paul E. Uhlhorn,
> Director of Marketing, ViaCrypt, on the subject.
>
> JEK:
> The lack of source code for ViaCrypt PGP is an issue.  If ViaCrypt PGP
> 2.7 were legitimately acquired, but the buyer, wary of black-box
> (sourceless) software, instead used a variant of PGP 2.6ui patched to
> identify itself as 2.7, would the substitution be detectable by any
> observer?  Would either you or RSADSI object to this?
>
> Uhlhorn:
> If a person were to make 2.6ui look like 2.7, ViaCrypt would
> strongly object and would most likely pursue legal remedies.  Our
> concerns would include copyright and patent (both IDEA and RSA)
> infringement.  I cannot speak for PKP, Public Key Partners, but I
> would expect PKP would also consider this patent infringement. I
> understand 2.6ui to be a "patched" version of 2.3a which was not
> licensed by RSA or PKP.

I disagree with this.  I can't find the line of reasoning here.  The
only guaruntee of patent and (and to some extent) copyright to the
holder is right to collect fees.  Once you have collected those fees
and if future fees are not in jepeordy, you don't have 'standing' to
complain, as I see it.

> Uhlhorn:
> ViaCrypt has exactly the same position if a person were to
> make 2.6ui look like ViaCrypt PGP V2.7 regardless of whether or
> not they are a registered user of ViaCrypt PGP V2.7.  It is plain
> dishonest and illegal!
> [End of Uhlhorn dialogue]

Makes no sense, unless they are talking about you giving out the
modified version.

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: [email protected]