Re: Statistics on remail message sizes

In article <[email protected]>, Eric Hughes <[email protected]> wrote:
>Based on Hal's numbers, I would suggest a reasonable quantization for
>message sizes be a short set of geometrically increasing values,
>namely, 1K, 4K, 16K, 64K.  In retrospect, this seems like the obvious
>quantization, and not arithmetic progressions.  Live and learn.

A brief suggestion:  Code the progression, not the four values.  As
 time goes on (and lossy sendmails disappear), people are sending larger
 and larger messages;  it's easily conceivable that people could be
 swapping multiMB files at some point in the not too distant future
 (indeed, I do occasionally send out files that are 4-5 MB large,
 uuencoded binaries and tar files).

No point in limiting future behavior due to current usage.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "Which part of 'shall not be infringed' didn't
[email protected]  |   you understand?"