Re: Announcing Bellcore's Trusted Software Integrity (Betsi) System

Jim Gillogly writes:
 > Mark Ludwig wrote KOH, an on-the-fly disk encryption program that is also
 > a virus.  It was posted recently to alt.security.pgp.  Ludwig is the author
 > of a number of other viruses that don't claim to be useful.

I stand corrected;  However, my point (overstated as it was) is that this
 is insignificant to the total number of programs distributed: the whole
 mass of ftp.uu.net, wuarchive.wustl.edu,...

> OK.  For the record, I think it's a Good Thing to have as much confidence
> in lots of different frequent-version programs as I do in (say) PGP with
> its signed-file protocols.

Oh, I certainly agree.  I just don't believe that Betsi does anything
 constructive towards this -- doing this through reputations of known
 agents is a much better method, IMO -- and not one that requires an
 agent <-> human mapping.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "Which part of 'shall not be infringed' didn't
[email protected]  |   you understand?"