Re: Arizona State Email Non-Privacy Policy

NetSurfer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Surprise.  It is their equipment to do with as they please and if you
> don't want to follow along with their conditions of access...  In the
> gov't it is literally against the law and considered theft of government
> resources (cpu time, equipment (pc, terminal etc.), electricity...) to use
> government equipment for private purposes.

I'm sure this is the case in law, but to take an analogy,
this is like banning employees from *receiving* private telephone
calls. (Email has zero marginal cost to most institutions, as
does a telephone connection). While I am sure there are a few
employers who do ban staff from taking calls at work, I'd
think of them in the "Gradgrind and Gradgrind plc" class and
not expect them to keep their staff long. In fact, I know of few
employers who in practice object to reasonable use of the
phones to *make* personal calls. (The government is an exception,
although the UK defence ministry just worked out that 25% or
so of their phone bill was to private numbers, which may herald a
crackdown).

Richard Parratt                 *  The reason why so many people play soccer
Still in London,                *  is so they don't have to watch it being
[email protected] *  played.