Re: \"Reputations\" are more than just nominalist hot air

At  5:41 PM 9/5/94 -0700, Hal wrote:

>Then perhaps we can avoid arguing about what a reputation is, and instead
>focus on the interesting issue of what the role of cryptography will be
>in establishing reputations in a possibly-pseudonymous business network.

I think the distinction between "reputation" and "credential" is an
important one in this context.
I would be interested in discussing "the interesting issue of what the role
of cryptography will be in establishing <credentials> in a
possibly-pseudonymous business network", i.e. TRW credit reports, drivers
licenses, or ATM cards (all of which may or may not be tied to a reputation
or to a valuable, wonderful person - doesn't matter to me. Will I get my
money outta the deal?).

Conrad Walton                        [email protected]
Without JOY there can be no STRENGTH.
Without STRENGTH, all other virtures are worthless.
                                                            Edward Abbey