Re: [[email protected]: Re: digital monies]

Steve,

I'm forwarding this to cypherpunks, where this posting originated. Always
ready to set the record straight. By the way, could I have an email copy of
your original posting/publicity material for this, I'm curious about where
it was announced to the net. Tighten up my links to the straight dope, etc.

Thanks!

Bob Hettinga

>Bob,
>
>Carl Ellison at TIS brought this to my attention.  We'll provide you with a
>lengthier response in a bit, but let me comment briefly that the following
>contains a number of inaccuracies.  Two of particular note: Citibank is not
>a principal in CyberCash, and the vaporware footnote is peculiar because
>our system has been operational since early April and the client software,
>which runs as a "viewer" with a number of browsers, is available from our
>web site for downloading around the world.
>
>Steve
>

>>CyberCash
>>The last I heard from these guys, a "consortium" of various heavies like RSA
>> and I believe Citibank even, was an article plastered all over the
>>Marketing section of the Wall Street Journal last fall. To my knowlege they
>>haven't come up for air. My memory of 'consortia' like this one, and
>>Citicorp in particular (who was trying to reverse engineer Chaum's Digicash
>>patent last time I looked), leads me to believe this dog won't hunt, or at
>>least not until the coon's already been treed, anyway. Cf: Citi's Quotron
>>boondoggle.

>Steve Crocker
>CyberCash, Inc., Suite 430                        Work: +1 703 620 4200
>2100 Reston Parkway                               Fax:  +1 703 620 4215
>Reston, VA 22091                                  [email protected]

Robert Hettinga ([email protected])
Shipwright Development Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131
USA (617) 323-7923
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell