Re: Don't trust the net too much (or at all)

"Ed Carp [khijol Sysadmin]" <[email protected]> writes:

|The POPs communicate with Netcom in San Jose.  As I understand it, Netcom
|isn't a true distributed computing environment - all the server machines
|are in San Jose.  Take out the servers, you take out the ISP.

There's no need to use bombs, guns, any of that nastiness.
As somone pointed to here allready, it's far easier and
safer to use technical means.

Unfortunatly for far too many ISP's, saying security is like
speaking words in an alien tounge. They just don't get it,
and even if they do, they don't want to spend the money on
it, or worse yet, (and more commonly lately) allocate some
poor sod who becomes the overnight expert on it, which is worse
than admitting that it's not a high priority.

Basicly, it amounts to hack 'em and drop 'em.

What is to prevent the [hostiles] from trying to develop
code to secretly monitor machines at ISP's and other
places? And then just take them out whenever they want...
Nothing I belive.

Except perhaps the security offered by decent & avalible
encryption.

Tim Scanlon

[email protected] (NeXTmail, MIME)  Tim Scanlon
George Mason University     (PGP key avail.)  Public Affairs
I speak for myself, but often claim demonic possession