Re: Legislation question...

Phil Fraering writes:
> I may be a bit behind the times, but I have a question
> about the "ban crypto-anarchy" legislation as well as
> the Exon amendment:
>
> Isn't legislation in this country supposed to start in the
> House and _then_ move to the Senate for approval?
>
> Why are all of these bills going in the opposite direction?

Legislation can originate in either house. The constitution says only
that

"All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of
Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with
amendments as on other bills."

This particular rule is often breeched in reality, by the way, but
there is no enforcement mechanism to stop it.

BTW, in re suing congressmen

"The Senators and Representatives shall [...] in all cases, except
treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest
during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and
in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate
in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place."

The last part being operative.

.pm