Unix not the Only Place for "Vanguard" Applications

   Frankly, Unix fragmented into a bunch of pieces. Maybe it was because of
   the USL-Novell-AT&T-Sun-Unix International-etc. battles (I don't even
   recollect who was who in this battle). Maybe it was the News vs. X vs.
   OpenLook vs. NeXTStep vs. etc. user interface battles.

Well, it looks like there will be a major Unix mainstream again
with two branches capable of more-or-less running each other's
binaries without too much pain: FreeBSD and Linux.

   In any case, I expect Windows (and Windows NT) will take an ever-increasing
   share of the market for at least the next several years. I'm hardly alone
   in this expectation.

BTW, I hear Linux can now run Windows 3.1 in its DOS box.

Phil