Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Andrew Spring writes:
> This wasn't really my point.  Grassley's bill implies that uploading crypto
> to an overseas FTP site would qualify as a predicate act, needed for a RICO
> seizure.  I think he is assuming that someone would do this for the
> purposes of making money: and that anything bought with that money would be
> RICOable.  I don't think he or anyone else in Congress is aware that people
> tend to do this stuff for free.

I disagree.
Sec. 1030A (a) under S.974 would make it illegal to
"transfer unlicensed computer software,"
*"regardless of whether the transfer is performed for
economic consideration"*.

S.974 would make each such transfer a predicate act
for RICO purposes.

(this message is oddly formatted due to problems I'm
having with my environment right now)

-Futplex