Re: Netscape the Big Win

Timothy C. May writes:
> one way or the other, and will join the rest of the world (apparently) in
> using Netscape.

This from "Mr. Ascii" as of six months ago. Everyone remember when Tim
was flaming MIME and the rest? Well, Netscape was out back then, too.

> And yes, I am "marginalizing" the work that anyone does on "fringe"
> projects like Linux, which will likely always remain in the ghetto
> of Unix hackers who want a cheap Unix running on their cheap 486
> boxes...it just ain't gonna take over inside corporations or amongst
> the many folks like me.

I apologise for doing my IPSP work on a marginal operating system like
BSD Unix. Were I a truly non-marginalized person, I'd have realized
that Novell Netware and Appletalk were the internetworking
technologies of the future. I would suggest that you get rid of your
web browser while you can -- it was descended from code written for
Unix, that marginalized operating system. By the way, I understand
Netscape does their development with marginalized machines.

> That Qualcomm (Eudora), Netscape, Frontier, Microsoft, Lotus, and others
> are working on an interoperable "Secure/MIME" should be encouraging.

I'm glad to see you've not been paying attention to the IETF work on
MOSS. After all, we are a marginalized group -- we only built the
Internet, you know.

Perry, writing from the marginalized IETF meeting in Stockholm, where
the nowhere people define standards no one uses.