Re: Netscape the Big Win

On Fri, 21 Jul 1995, Hal wrote:

> This sounds very good if it already is almost working.  The TCP
> connection which is opened would have to be to a server on the local
> machine, so it would be important that the software support that.  Also,
> the local SOCKS relay would of course not want its winsock calls to be
> intercepted and translated in this way, so there would need to be some
> alternative way to access "vanilla" winsock.  Can you give any
> more information on the NEC work?

I can only quote the original posting to the SOCKS mailing list - I answered
their call for beta-testers, but I haven't heard back from them, yet:

-------------------------------- 8< ---------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 10:05:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: Cornell Kinderknecht <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Cc: Cornell Kinderknecht <[email protected]>
Subject: Good news for Windows/Winsock users

New SOCKS application for PC/Windows/Winsock.  Looking for beta
volunteers...

We've developed an MSWindows .DLL (Windows version 3.1) that allows
unmodified TCP-based Winsock applications and TCP/IP stacks to
communicate through a SOCKS4.2 server.  This will hopefully be
available for general release sometime soon.  Currently, I'm looking
for volunteers to do some beta testing.

If interested, willing to provide feedback, and don't mind rebooting
your PC when when it locks up :-), email the following information
about your environment to [email protected]:

1. Winsock stack type and version (Trumpet, NetManage, etc.).
2. Other network OS/drivers (Netware, IPX, packet drivers, SLIP, etc.).
3. Winsock applications (trumptel, wsftp, netscape, etc.).
4. Your email address.
5. Anything else relevant...

I'll keep the number of beta testers limited and so unfortunately I
might not be able to include everyone who requests.

Oh, BTW, here are some requirements:
1. MS Windows3.1.
2. Installed and operating Winsock TCP/IP stack.
3. Installed and operating SOCKS server (v.4.2).
4. PC running Winsock stack must be able to use DNS to resolve
   names and IP addresses (including its own).

--- Cornell
| Cornell Kinderknecht          Email: [email protected] |
| CSTC                            			      |
| NEC Systems Lab.              Phone: 214-518-3509           |
| Irving, TX (Dallas)             			      |
-------------------------------- 8< ---------------------------------------

[...]
> non-blocking connect as there is in Windows.  Maybe Windows 95 will allow
> a more Unix-style communication model, though.  Should the proxy require
> Windows 95, or will Windows 3 still be in widespread use for another
> year or two?

I'm afraid we'll have to live with async socket calls for a while...

> Also IMO the requirements for the Internet relay are pretty different
> than for the Windows relay.  The Internet relay needs only to be able to
> decrypt/encrypt on the port where the request comes from while sending
> plain data the other way.  It needs a config file so the owner can
> control what kinds of outgoing TCP connections can be done.  The Windows
> one needs to be able to do nested encryption (if chains will be allowed
> eventually), to set up chains, etc.  So for these reasons I am inclined
> to think that the two relays would be separate programs.

Well, a config file would be necessary for the windows one too. For
example, we could want to socksify only connections to some sites/ports,
socksify+encrypt some others, and open direct TCP connections to others
yet, such as servers on the same net (I presume that NEC's DLL will
attempt to socksify all the connections, so we should de-sockisfy some of
them intoducing sockd functionality.

> The Windows version would need to decrypt incoming data; you don't want
> that coming in the clear.

Oh yes, I actually meant that it should only be able to issue, and not also
accept, "client hello" requests (as per SSL model).

> I am a little unclear on the certificate situation.  As we saw with the
> PGP key servers before RSAREF PGP existed, RSA put pressure on these
> public sites which they saw as contributing to the use of infringing
> software.  Similarly having a certificate created by infringing software
> might be seen as illegal, even if RSAREF was actually used for the
> handshaking in the protocol.  Server operators are quite vulnerable to
> threatening letters from RSA.

RSA patents (I mean RSA, not RSADSI's) are only valid in USA. If I set up
a certifying authority, say, here in Hong Kong, using EAY's code written in
Australia, how could RSADSI complain? Server operators would import
data created under perfectly legal conditions.

> Another problem with RSAREF is that it does not allow you to exchange a
> session key using RSA encryption in a straightforward manner.  The entry
> points you have legal access to choose a random session key, PK encrypt
> it, send it, and then encrypt the message using that session key with DES
> or 3DES.  However I notice that SSLREF calls undocumented entry points
> like RSAPrivateDecrypt and RSAPublicEncrypt.  I am not sure how they are
> able to do this.  Maybe they got special permission from RSA.  I don't
> know whether the SSLEAY library would be able to do this without such
> special arrangements.

That should be investigated. Is RSAREF's licence only valid for some
entry points? In any case, I suppose that SSLREF may be used with any
certificate, unlike Netscape (am I wrong?).

> One other problem is the risk taken by people running the relay servers
> on the net.  These could be used to launder connections by hacker /
> cracker types.  So probably only a limited set of outgoing ports would be
> permitted, say, 80 and 1080 which are the most common http ports.  This
> would restrict the utility of the SOCKS approach for other uses like
> secure telnet, unfortunately.

Well, the same problem exists for illegal uses of the present remailers,
but hasn't stopped their operators.

Enzo