Re: An idea about Java and remailer clients and servers...

Phil Fraering writes:
> I was under the impression that there was a lot of common code
> between the Mixmaster client and server versions, at least in
> the current version.
>
> Does it have to be the case, then, that we even have separate client
> and server versions? If a new program is going to be written in Java,
> can't it have the functionality of both client and server?

Indeed, that's the way the C version works now:

[from README.client in the Mixmaster distribution]:
# Mixmaster uses the same source & binary for the remailer program and the
# client program. Setting up a client, however, is significantly easier.

> Why not "charge" for the ability to send an anonymous message with
> the duty to have for a short time (maybe an hour or two) running on
> your machine a node in a remailer network?

It would be interesting to see how the market would react to this. There
might be quite a bit of reluctance to take on the liability of a remailer
operator just to send an anonymous message (maybe that's a good thing ;)

Some mechanism would need to be worked out to tie delivery of each message
to satisfactory performance of its true originating address, without making
it much easier for an opponent to tie a message to its point of origin.

-Futplex <[email protected]>