RE: Netscape the Big Win(dows)

At 10:36 PM 7/23/95, Robert Hettinga wrote:

>What I mean is, that after you've used Netscape, a web client, to read news
>for a while, you'll start to think about more specialized applications like
>Newswatcher, for instance.

Speaking for myself, of course, I used Newswatcher _before_ using
Netscape's newsreader.

>No, Tim, your mother does *not* wear army boots.  ;-).  I just have several
>friends who recently moved to a TCP net feed and thought they only needed
>Netscape.  That is, until they used Eudora, and/or Newswatcher (preferably
>in it's "value added" editions), and switched to them instead for their
>respective purposes.

I've been using Eudora since early on, in 1992, via my Netcom shell
account. And Eudora Pro since it came out. Now I use it on my PPP account,
but the functionality is essentially the same as when I was using a shell
account.

As for Newswatcher, see above. As for other non-Netscape tools, I also have
MacWAIS, Anarchie, TurboGopher, Finger, NCSA Telnet, Talk, etc. I use
specialized tools when the need arises.

But Eudora + Netscape meet most of my Net needs, which are for doing mail,
reading and posting to News, fetching files, checking out Web sites, etc.

I'm not saying this combination meets the needs of everyone, and their
mileage will likely vary, but I do dislike arguments of the flavor: "Ah,
Tim, wait until you learn what a real computer is, wait until you see
what's out there besides Netscape."

--Tim May

[email protected]   | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
408-728-0152           | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
Corralitos, CA         | black markets, collapse of governments.
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.