Re: CALLER ID AVOIDANCE (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 23:19:13 -0400
From: Sal Denaro <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Newgroups: alt.cypher-punks
Subject: Re: CALLER ID AVOIDANCE (fwd)

<<<<<< INTERJECTION: I didn't write the message Sal's replying to, Sandy
did.  Sal's on my 'filtered' cypherpunx list. :-) -- Ray. >>>>>>>

In article <Pine.BSD/[email protected]>,
Ray Arachelian <[email protected]> kept the nurses distracted long
  enough to write:
>                           SANDY SANDFORT
> C'punks,
>
> While reading the July issue of Soldier of Fortune, I ran across
> an ad for yet another telephone anonymity service.  It reads:
>
> 			CALL 1-900-CUT TRAX
>
> 	Secure your most sensitive calls from all forms of
> 	caller I.D. and return-call technologies?
>
> 	Now make calls from your own telephone safely and
> 	anonymously.  No need to find a public phone to
> 	be discreet.

If they are a Licensed Interchange Carrier they must (by law) provided
call records and caller id information on court order. If they fail to
answer the court order they could loose the right to operate as a LIC.
If they are not a fully licensed carrier, they can have all equipment
impounded if they do not honor the court order. Ask anyone who knows
telco-law.

Let's say you call someone with call-id and do something silly like
tell them "I'm going to kill you and your boyfriend, leave my bloody
glove at the scene and drive away in my white ford bronco."

This scares them. The person calls the cops.

The cops call the number on caller id. They track down the service and
tell the service- "Give up the call records or get closed down."

What do you think the carrier will do?

I say this all the time, if you want privacy- Don't use the phone.

Here are some things I've heard: (Not responsible for blah blah...)

1) Most caller ID equipment will not display Caller ID from calls
 made at IDSN phones.

2) Most digital cell-phones have the same quirk.

3) Call-id does not work when calls are made from digital PBXs in
 Japan.

4) Call-id does not work when calls are made from digital PBXs in most
 parts of east-block Europe.

5) This happens only in Nynex land and will be fixed by 1997. (yes, 1997)

--
Salvatore Denaro
[email protected]             I waited for the joke/It never did arrive.