Re: Hooks to Crypto (was Re: NSA and the NCSA/Apache web servers)

On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, Andrew D Meredith wrote:

> On Jul 28, 12:18pm, Dr. Frederick B. Cohen wrote:
> > Subject: Re: NSA and the NCSA/Apache web servers
>
> > Actually, neither hooks nor encryption are unexportable, you
> > just need a license to export them.

The answer is to have some non-USA entity build shareable full fledged
full powered crypto libraries and provide them for free for the rest of
the world and for all machines.

On Windoze DLL's or WIN32's would be needed, on PPC Mac's shared Lib's,
on 68K Macs, an INIT that hooks itself via Gestalt, on Unix, shared
LIB's, etc.  I would also include routines for asking the user for a
passphrase to prevent the running application from grabbing that password
and providing weak security.  Or a program running in the background that
handles all the calls via IAC's or whatever... (like AppleEvents to PGP)

All with full free source, etc and PGP compatibility, etc.  Then the rest
of us could write code that uses that library.  Whoever wants crypto just
downloads the library from whereever and uses it.

In this case, would code written in the USA be exportable?

Wei's library would have been perfect for something like this... too bad. :-(

=================================================================93=======
 + ^ + |  Ray Arachelian | Amerika: The land of the Freeh. | \-_    _-/  |
  \|/  |[email protected]| Where day by day, yet another   |  \  --  /   |
<--+-->|                 | Constitutional right vanishes.  |6 _\-  -/_  6|
 + v + | "No" to the NSA!| Jail the censor, not the author!|     \/      |
      /  I watched and weeped as the Exon bill passed, knowing that yet /
     / another freedom vanished before my eyes.  How soon before we see/
    /a full scale dictatorship in the name of decency? While the rest /
   /of_the_world_fights_FOR_freedom,_our_gov'ment_fights_our_freedom_/