Re: a hole in PGP

> > 	Your assertion that I could find the backdoor by inspecting the
> > program is the wrong tactic for secure programs.  If you want people to
> > believe that a program is secure, you had better come up with good
> > reasons that it is secure, and not hide behind "if you can't find any
> > holes, it must be secure".
>
> This is where you are very wrong.  I am not saying that "if you can't
> find any holes it must be secure".  What I am saying is that the
> source is available, and thousands of people have looked at the
> source, and none of them have found any holes in it.

History shows that your approach fails. Here are some examples:

	Tens of thousands of people had source to the http daemon from
	CERN, and yet none of them noticed a hole that was detected as
	it was being exploited only a few months ago.

	Tens of thousands of people have access to sendmail and yet
	new holes are found by attackers several times per year on
	average.

	Tens of thousands of people have access to the sources of
	various versions of hundreds of software packages, yet there
	are holes found every day.

> >  - to wit: What makes you think PGPs method
> > of getting seeds does not lead to a limited key space that is within the
> > realm of modern computers to search?
>
> How do you propose that a user's keystrokes can be analyzed?  If you
> assume that the PC's internal clock speed >> typing speed (which is a
> good assumption -- how many keystrokes/second can you type?) then you
> have a large amount of randomness that can be gained from timing
> keystrokes.  Even a good typist will not have an even typestroke!
> Have you read RFC 1750?  If not, I would recommend you read it before
> you consider continuing this thread!

Request for Comments: 1750 - Randomness Recommendations for Security

"...Choosing random quantities to foil a resourceful and motivated
adversary is surprisingly difficult.  ...recommends the use of truly
random hardware techniques and shows that the existing hardware on many
systems can be used for this purpose."

PGP does not use "truly random hardware techniques"

"...For the present, the lack of generally available facilities for
generating such unpredictable numbers is an open wound in the design of
cryptographic software.  ...  the only safe strategy so far has been to
force the local installation to supply a suitable routine to generate
random numbers.  To say the least, this is an awkward, error-prone and
unpalatable solution." - 1994 - after PGP was implemented.

and then: "This informational document suggests techniques for producing
random quantities that will be resistant to such attack.  It recommends
that future systems include hardware random number generation or provide
access to existing hardware that can be used for this purpose."

"...Systems like Kerberos, PEM, PGP, etc.  are maturing and becoming a
part of the network landscape [PEM].  These systems provide substantial
protection against snooping and spoofing.  However, there is a potential
flaw.  At the heart of all cryptographic systems is the generation of
secret, unguessable (i.e., random) numbers. "

(Internet RFCs are searchable at http://all.net)

So I guess the RFC supports my contention and not yours.

> > 	Why (specifically) do you think the MIT version of PGP has no
> > backdoors and is not subject to attacks such as the one outlined in my
>
> I think it has no backdoors because Jeff Schiller and I (among others)
> have looked closely at the random number generator code (he has taken
> a much closer look than I) and believe it to be secure.  I also know
> that I did not put any backdoors into the code (but why would you
> believe me, I must be paid by the government to say this, right?)

You might be, but even if you are not, that doesn't mean there are no
back doors.  Your inability to detect a backdoor gives me little
confidence, since this is at least an NP-complete problem and, with all
due respect, today, nobody can prove that PGP is free of backdoors

> As to why I believe it is not subject to attack, I ask you again to go
> read RFC 1750.  PGP follows its recommendations fairly closely.  There
> is only one place where PGP fails to follow, and that is that PGP does
> expose the bucket of random bits, rather than mixing them before
> exporting them.  However I do not believe that this would affect the
> generation of PGP Public Keys.

But the RFC acknowledges that these methods are highly suspect and should
not be trusted.

> PS: In what field is your Doctorate?

Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering, U. of Southern California, 1986,
subject "Computer Viruses".  My complete resume is available through the W3
server (below) under Management Analytics.

--
-> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net
Management Analytics - 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236