Re: Encrypted internet traffic to Singapore??

Joe McGuckin writes:
> A client of mine wishes to set up a connection to their
> Singapore office using the internet rather than a dedicated
> leased line.
>
> They would like to encrypt the data going between the branch
> office in Singapore and the home office in California.
>
> I am considering using something like swIPe for this? Seem reasonable?

Probably for the next month or so since IPSEC implementations aren't
out. (Well, actually, Morningstar is already reportedly offering them
to selected test customers but that might not be true -- in any case
they can't export.) swIPe won't do what you want out of the box
anyway, though.

> Also, what are the legal ramifications? Can I get an export license
> for this?

Doubtful, but I believe swIPe is on overseas sites already.

> Is there an encryption method that doesn't require an
> export license?

None you care to use.

> Is swIPe legal? That is, are any patents being misappropriated by the
> current version?

No.

.pm