Australia, EU crypto ill news, crypto wars

Just read this on comp.risks, by Ross Anderson (via a couple of people).

A crypto relevant forward if any is relavent IMO, especially this bit:

Ross Anderson <[email protected]> writes:
> ... While at the conference, I found out that a classified meeting
> took place this March in Germany between the signals intelligence
> agencies of the developed countries, plus Australia and South Africa,
> at which the assembled spooks agreed to press their governments to
> bring in escrow and/or weak crypto.

You realise, of course, that this means war,

Tatical replies?

a) Lobbying - hopeless IMO, they aren't interested in listening, the
   politicos are just too easy to manipulate and the "masses" aren't
   clueful enough of what crypto means to understand the implications,
   or even notice.

b) pretty good stego - possible technical solution

c) independant states of cyberspace :-)  declaration of independence

c) enforced or "enabled" by b) looks good to me.

Perhaps some literary skilled cpunk would care to compose a suitable
reply for PGN to add to risks.

Adam