Linux brutessl client

Hi.

I've been able to compile a working brutessl 1.02 cllient under linux
and gcc 2.7.0, but I get abysmal search speeds.

My system is a pentium 60, which, according to the docs, ought to have
a speed of something over 14100 kps (that's what a 486dx2/66 with no
rotate left macro gets).

brutessl -t reports that my system can do 11200 keys per second.

Is there any obvious reason this number is so much lower than
expected?  I'm reasonably certain gcc implemets a rotl macro, but I
don't know how to make use of it -- has anyone out there gotten
assembly.c to compile under gcc?

Finally, are there any additional optimizations for pentium machines
available?

thanks,
-sq