PINESIGN 2.2 (re: PGP for Pine)

I've been out of town this week, so I coulsn't respond in a timely manner
(and I returned to 500+ pieces of cypherpunks email :-)

I'm appending a copy of PineSign 2.2, ehich is the most recent version of
the PineSign program.  It doesn't do any encryption, it simple allows for
easy signing of messages composed with pine (and maybe other mailers as
well).  If you want to encrypt and such, I'd recommend mkpgp if you can
find it or perhaps autopgp does it (not sure).

I also have a version of a similiar program for Tin available on my home
page, or I can post it if there is interest.

=====

#!/bin/sh

# PINESIGN v2.2
# Written by:  Robert A. Hayden <[email protected]>

# PINESIGN is a simple program that will allow you to automatically sign
# your email and news messages composed with the Pine 3.91 mail reader.  It
# may also work with other mail and news programs, but it has not been
# tested.

# INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONFIGURING PINE
#
# You need to define the following options in Pine.  This can be done
# either via the SETUP options in the main menu of Pine, or via editing
# the .pinerc.
#
# 	A)	signature-file=" "  (an empty space)
#	B)	enable-alternate-editor-cmd
#	C)	enable-alternate-editor-implicitly (optional but recommended)
#	D) 	signature-at-bottom
#	E)	editor=<exact path to this script>

# INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONFIGURING PINESIGN
#
# The PGP program must be in your path, and the PGPPATH environment
# variable must be defined.  See the PGP documentation for details.
#
# Double check that the first line of this program points to sh.
#
# In addition to PGP and the editor you define, PineSign also will use the
# following programs:
#       cat
#	clear
#       echo
#	mv
#
# Execute the command "chmod 700 <path/to/tinsign>"
#
# Edit the SIGPATH and PINEEDITOR variables to point at your signature
# (if any) and the editor you wish to use for your Pine mail.  Default
# signature will be the file .signature-pine in your $HOME directory.
# Default editor is pico -z -t.
#
# Define SIGPATH=/dev/null if you do not have an ASCII signature to
# append.

SIGPATH=$HOME/.signature-pine
PINEEDITOR='pico -z -t'

# Next, define the ECHOTYPE variable.  Some systems do not allow the use
# of the echo -n command.  If your system doesn't like echo -n, uncomment
# the plain echo variable and comment out (put a "#" in front of it) the
# echo -n commant.

ECHOTYPE='echo -n'
#ECHOTYPE='echo'

# INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING PINESIGN
#
# When you compose a message, you will compose your message as normal.
#
# When you exit your editor (control-X in Pico), you will receive a prompt
# asking if you wish to add your signature file to the message.  If you
# respond with y, Y or just press return, your text signature file will
# be appended to your message.  If you type anything else, your message
# will not have your signature added.
#
# Next, you will be prompted as to whether you wish to PGP sign your
# message.  If you answer with y, Y or return, you will be prompted for your
# PGP passphrase and then dumped back to the address/subject section of
# Pine.  If you type anything else, your message will not be signed.
#
# If you selected it to be added, your signature file will be appended
# AFTER your digital signature.
#
# If you have not defined your alternate editor to be run implicitly, you
# will need to start it manually.  If you do not run the alternate editor,
# your signature file will not be appended and you will also have to do
# that manually.  It is highly recommended that your define your alternate
# editor to run implicitly.

### DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING ###

$PINEEDITOR $1

clear
$ECHOTYPE "Would you like to add your ASCII signature to this message? [y] "
read SIG
echo " "
$ECHOTYPE "Would you like to sign this message with your PGP signature? [y] "
read PGP

if [ "$PGP" = "y" ]
	then
		pgp -sat +comment="PGP Signed with PineSign 2.2" +clearsig=ON $1
		mv $1.asc $1
fi

if [ "$PGP" = "Y" ]
	then
		pgp -sat +comment="PGP Signed with PineSign 2.2" +clearsig=ON $1
		mv $1.asc $1
fi

if [ "$PGP" = "" ]
	then
		pgp -sat +comment="PGP Signed with PineSign 2.2" +clearsig=ON $1
		mv $1.asc $1
fi

if [ "$SIG" = "y" ]
	then
		echo " " >> $1
		cat $SIGPATH >> $1
fi

if [ "$SIG" = "Y" ]
	then
		echo " " >> $1
		cat $SIGPATH >> $1
fi

if [ "$SIG" = "" ]
	then
		echo " " >> $1
		cat $SIGPATH >> $1
fi

# REVISION HISTORY

# 1.0 -	Original Release
# 2.0 - Added the ability to select whether or not to add the ASCII signature
# 2.1 - Forgot to add the +clearsig=on parameter to the PGP statements.
#	OOPS!
# 2.2 - CURRENT RELEASE
#	After receiving complaints about some systems not being able to
#	handle the -n parameter for echo, added in the ECHOTYPE variable.

____           Robert A. Hayden      <=> [email protected]
\  /__     Finger for Geek Code Info <=>    Finger for PGP Public Key
   \/        http://krypton.mankato.msus.edu/~hayden/Welcome.html