Re: Greetings

> going on, I am led to beleive that Cypherpunks is setting up
> a distributed system to break some cryptographic system or
> factor a large number.

See http://www.brute.cl.cam.ac.uk/brute/

We are trying to show that the US Govt' crippling iof exportable "secure"
protocols to 40 bits leaves them open to CRACKing by others than the NSA.

> I would expect that a constant net connection would be a requirement to
> participate in such an interesting event.

No -- that is the preferred way, but you can use a network connection
(WWW or direct socket) to get part of the address space to search,
process it offline, and then report back your findings later.