Re: CIA & Espionage

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 11:16:01 -0400
From: [email protected]

>In a german weekly news magazine (Focus 34/1995, p. 178-181) I read an
>article about industrial espionage. It is said that the secret
>services have lost their main task when the east/west cold war had
>gone. Their new task is the industrial espionage. The russian, french,
>and american services were referenced in the article.

The cold war isn't so decisive. Much of espionage has always been industrial. I
is an essential component of political espionage in any case. Millitary espiong
may get the headlines but the bulk of the work is trawling through trade stats
and various open networks in embassies etc.

In any case with the breakup of the USSR there are now more states to watch and
because they are unstable more need to watch them.

        Phill