Re: SSL search attack

[email protected] writes
>From: Scott Brickner <[email protected]>
>>>If the segments are shuffled before they are handed out then this attack
>>>becomes impossible, since the attacker has no way of knowing when
>>>segment 0x1bad will be handed out.
>>
>>An excellent point.  One I'd missed.  I agree that a random shuffle
>>of segments is appropriate.
>
>Problem is, though, if *each* segment is shuffled, or shuffled in groups
>of 10 or 25 or 50 or what? brutessl is designed for sequential search
>through a block of segments. I was pulling down blocks of up to 40 segments
>each, for each machine I was running. Of course, with brloop running I
>won't be in such a bind (I have yet to see that it really works though..)
>but still it also represents a coding problem as to handing out sequential
>segments within shuffled blocks.

Well, the only real issue is that the requestor *not* be able to
reliably predict which segments will be assigned.  The server may adopt
a strategy of picking a random block of segments for each request.
This introduces a certain amount of fragmentation into the process, but
there are strategies to minimize this.  It may be enough to break up
keyspace into, say, 32 "regions", and fill requests sequentially, but
from a randomly selected region.