Re: Photuris Primality verification needed

   Cc: [email protected], [email protected]
   Date: Sun, 05 Nov 1995 11:07:25 -0500
   From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email protected]>
   Sender: [email protected]

   "William Allen Simpson" writes:
   > Folks, I was somewhat disappointed in the response to our previous
   > requests for verification of the strength of the prime moduli.
   >
   > Recently, someone asked for a smaller prime of only 512-bits for speed.
   > This is more than enough for the strength of keys needed for DES, 3DES,
   > MD5 and SHA.  Perhaps this would be easier to have more complete and
   > robust verification as well.

   I think that this is a very large mistake. Allow me to explain why.

   La Macchia (sp?) and Odlyzko (sp?) have a very nice result which shows
   that once you've done enough precalculation on a particular modulus,
   you can break any subsequent Diffie-Hellman operation performed on
   that modulus with (for our purposes) no effort. 512 bits is, from what
   I can tell, not far out of the realm of possibility for what someone
   could try to crack with current machines given enough effort.

Perry is correct; allow me to add some details.  The discrete log
problem is "brittle": for a given prime modulus p you have to spend a
lot of effort to calculate the first discrete log modulo p, but
subsequent discrete logs modulo p are easy to find.  Basically, you (a)
do a lot of precomputation to compute discrete logs for a set of
small(-ish) primes, and then (b) you combine these to find the
particular discrete log you're interested in.  For the second (and
subsequent) discrete logs modulo p you only have to do part (b), which
is pretty easy.

Our practical experiences with discrete logs suggests that the effort
required to perform the discrete log precomputations in (a) is slightly
more difficult than factoring a composite of the same size in bits.  In
1990-91 we estimated that performing (a) for a k-bit prime modulus was
about as hard as factoring a k+32-bit composite.  [Recent factoring work
has probably changed this a bit, but it's still a good estimate.]

Finally, remember that if the modulus in your appliation is public and
fixed (as it usually is) then you've got a very tempting target for me
to attack.  Once I do the precomputations I can break/subvert/read any
particular D-H exchange I want for little additional effort.  You have
to consider the amount of effort someone might bring to bear against
your entire system, not only against a particular transaction.  Breaking
a particular 512-bit RSA key might not be worth the effort if it just
gets me your encrypted e-mail (or whatever), but a 512-bit D-H modulus
in a widely deployed system is ripe for attack.

See our paper (available from http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/) for all
the juicy details.

					--bal