Re: Exporting software doesn't mean exporting

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Peter D. Junger wrote:

> >From Section 120.17 of the ITAR which provides:
>
>  _Export_ means:
>  . . . .
>  (4) Disclosing (including oral or visual disclosure) or transfering
>  technical data to a foreign person, whether in the United States or
>  abroad . . . .

The ITAR is U.S.-Law. This only applies (by definition) to US-citizens
or persons in the U.S.!

I think it's a common mistake of many Americans that they believe
creating law means creating law for the whole world!

> Go read the section that I quoted again.  Where is there an exception
> for foreign persons who happen to be abroad?

It's inherent. You simply can't apply US-law to non-US-citizens outside
the U.S.!

oli.