Re: PGP Comment feature weakens remailer security

I think you are fine if the odds of corrupting the message are less than
the odds of getting hit by a a falling meteor while running the program.
In general there is little point in making any one part of the system
many orders of magnitude more reliable than any other part.

	-Lance

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Raph Levien wrote:

>    Point well taken.
>
>    I'm seriously considering completely disabling the PGP comment
> feature when invoked from premail. In fact, that's what the new code
> does right now.
>
>    On an unrelated topic... cypherpunks like to count bits, right?
> What is the correct number of pseudorandom bits to use in a MIME
> multipart separator? If the data has a line which matches the
> separator, the message is corrupted. Of course, if you can take
> multiple passes through the data, you can simply verify that it does
> not contain a line which matches the separator. But if you're
> restricted to a single pass, then the only way to do it is to use a
> randomly generated separator.
>    I figure that 128 bits should _definitely_ be enough (that's what
> is in the new premail code now). Even 64 bits should ensure that it is
> unlikely that anyone will ever experience message corruption over the
> expected lifetime of premail. However, it makes me nervous. What do
> people think?
>
> Raph

Lance Cottrell   [email protected]
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
Mixmaster, the next generation remailer, is now available!
http://obscura.com/~loki/Welcome.html or FTP to obscura.com

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche