Re: PGP Comment feature weakens remailer security

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > I agree entirely. That's why my PGP key at school is 382 bits. It's a
> > lot easier to compromise my machine than factor a 382 bit number.
>
> On the other hand, it costs nothing by most people's standards to use
> a 1024 bit key, so why not use one? I find that there is only a point
> in using low security for anything in particular when there is a
> perceivable cost to it -- if the cost is typing a different number
> while doing key generation, I don't see why one should suffer the
> tradeoff.

Actually, it makes a sort of sense; if I see a 384 bit PGP key, it
strikes me as insecure, and I really consider it; unless it says so on
the 1024 bit key, I wouldn't think about it much.  It's useful as a human
identifier, assuming it's not the weakest link in the chain.

Jon
Jon Lasser                <[email protected]>            (410)494-3072
          Visit my home page at http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
  You have a friend at the NSA: Big Brother is watching. Finger for PGP key.