Re: Java & Netscape security [NOISE]

Alice de Nonymous writes:
[dlv]
> > Fred is right. I used to work for Goldman Sachs & their internet usage
> > policy stated that when you write to Internet or Usenet from a GS account,
> > it will reflect on the firm no matter how you disclaim it.

[alice]
> I think this is true, and is where we start to get into reputations and
> trust.
>
> If someone from Goldman Sachs posts to a Usenet group discussing abortion
> or gun-control, and says that: "These opinions are my own and not my
> employers."  Then, we can accept that, no matter how silly their opinions
> are.

Unfortunately, most employers won't accept this. A couple of years ago Sun
Micro fired Philip Stromer for posting homophobic jokes to Usenet. A good
friend of mine was fired from Microsoft for sending politically incorrect
articles to a Ukrainian mailing list. (He was born in Ukraine.) Someone
complained to MS and he was axed. Interestingly, most of his offensive messages
came from his CompuServe account; only a couple of tamer ones were from his
microsoft.com address. The complainer and Microsoft apparently felt that since
he was known to work for Microsoft, it didn't matter that he posted mostly from
Compuserve.

I think Goldman's policy on Internet use is pretty reasonable. I'm attaching
at the end a couple of interesting e-mails that explain their philosophy.

> But there is a difference in the way we look at it if someone from Goldman
> Sachs posts to misc.invest.stocks instead and says that the Goldman Sachs
> Strip Coupon Fund is better than the one from Merrill Lynch -- that it's
> safer and produces higher returns because Goldman uses cubic spline
> interpolation methodologies to interpolate the yield curve, while Merrill
> Lynch doesn't.  There is a difference here.

Hmm... If it looks remotely like marketing, it'd better carry the usual
disclaimers that past returns are no indication of future returns etc. :)

> In the first case, the poster is not commenting about anything to do with
> their work, -- it really is just one man's opinion -- while in the second
> they are actually commenting upon something their employer is selling.

Even in the first case, the poster is using a Goldman e-mail address, which is
comparable to using Goldman stationery to write a personal letter. If he says
something pro- or anti-gun/abortion that might antagonize a potential client
and cause him not to do business with GS, then GS is right not to like this.

> If the employee tries to add, "these opinions are my own, and do not
> reflect the opinion of my employer" then we have a huge credibility
> problem.

I think these disclaimers are just silly and can't be taken seriously.
If he posted an article to alt.sex.pedophile discussing his desire to have
sex with children, surely this would reflect on Goldman no matter how he
disclaimed it, and he would deservedly be in trouble.

> You really can't have it both ways.  You can't post officially and
> unofficially at the same time, unless it really does have nothing to do
> with your work.

Goldman's policy seems to indicate that if you post from a commercial
ISP and don't claim to speak on behalf of Goldman, they don't care what
they say. This is better than some...

But consider this hypo. Joe Shmoe, an analyst with GS Research, posts an
article to misc.invest.* saying that he likes stock XYZZY. He posts from
another ISP and doesn't mention that he works for Goldman. But one of the many
kooks that invest misc.invest.* recognized Joe and shouts: *LOOK! THIS IS JOE
SHMOE FROM GS RESEARCH! *. At which point, the readers take Joe Shmoe's
postings much more seriously, and Goldman asks him whether he's put XYZZY on
the restricted list. (Disclaimer: I definitely don't speak for Goldman and am
just supposing what might happen in a situation like this :)

> If you post from Sun Engineering, and you are posting to a group that
> focuses on Sun, and you are talking about a Sun product, then people are
> going to take your comments as an official statement from Sun. You are
> that product's spokesperson, whether you disclaim or not, and should act
> accordingly.  No matter what, that's the way people are going to see it.

I would venture as far as to say that if you post from Netcom, but are known to
work for X, then you have much more crediblity speaking about X's products or
future plans that some unknown person. Your reputation is thus both enhanced by
X and partially owned by X. X would be within its right to ask you not to speak
about X's affairs in public. The readers would have the right to assume that
you know more about X's affairs and deicision-making than someone from the
street. Greater credibility carries with it greater responsibility, both to X
and to the readers. If you want a reputation that's independent from X, you
could get an ISP account under an assumed name, or post via an anonymous
remailer, and build a reputation from scratch.

Here are a couple of quotes regarding Goldman's Internet usage guidelines: