Re: The future will be easy to use

On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> attila writes:
> >
> >    what about the Sun release announced today? --it is fully functional
> > with DES and 3xDES, DH negotiation, etc. and is coded for either sun 4.1.3
> > or gcc compilers?  Check out http://skip.incog.com.  source to the SKIP
> > key management and IP layer encryption package for SunOs 4.x.
>
> Ah, yes. The non-standard from Sun.
>
> It doesn't do D-H negotiation, by the way. It uses something I'd call
> inferior. Read the flames in ipsec and ipsec-dev for details.
>
> .pm

    figures. I'll give ipsec and ipsec-dev a look.  However, SUN does have
the power to make something happen on the high-power workstations, and the
fact they are making a portable package available in source code is
farther than anyone else has gone.

    my experience over the last 15 years with Sun is that they do listen
to outside "noise" and will move forward.  I for one will be contacting
my Catalyst rep and the software develop group; the time has passed when
you could get Andy, Bill, or Scott on the squawker.  I did complain to
Scott about Catalyst changes --I did get a nice letter back, but I doubt
it was authored by Scott.  Andy resigned last year, and I have not heard
from Bill for years.

   other than the inferior method v. DH, is there anything else missing;
I will probably pull the code package of the developers' access machine
before the week is out just to take a look.