[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: [email protected]
- Subject: "Dr." Fred
- From: [email protected] (Anonymous)
- Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 03:35:07 +0100
- Comments: Hack-Tic may or may not approve of the content of this posting
- Comments: Please report misuse of this automated remailing service to <[email protected]>
- Organization: Hack-Tic International, Inc.
- Sender: [email protected]
The most charitable explanation for "Dr." Fred is that
he's degenerated into the professional equivalent of
those pathetic aging former chess masters who try to
eek out a subsistence living by charging five bucks a
game. People often play with them out of sympathy, or
for the novelty of having lost to a past great. It's
part of the chess culture, and it's basically harmless
and sort of quaint.
The difference, of course, is that its almost impossible
to have sympathy for Dr. Fred. His hustle is for a hell
of a lot more than subsistence. He was also never actually
a master of his field, a fact that becomes increasingly
obvious as our exposure to him goes on. Now he's reduced
himself to trying to collect someone else's winnings.