Re: Style gettting in the way of clear reporting

At 06:38 PM 7/7/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
>At 12:40 AM 7/8/96, James A. Donald wrote:
>
>>When news media were concentrated into fewer and fewer hands during
>>the twentieth century, the appearance of neutrality, objectivity,
>>and authoritativeness became a major selling point, and so media
>>adopted a tone and manner of neutrality, with an accompanying
>>"just-the-facts" style, though in reality they became far less neutral
>
>An interesting point. You are probably right that journalism is becoming
>more florid as "amateurs" flood the market. However, I don't quite buy the
>concentration argument, as things were pretty concentrated in the Hearst
>era, and the explosion of magazines in the past few decades has not been as
>concentrated. (In any case, these are hard things to quantify without more
>research, which I for one am unlikely to pursue.)

It is probably true that journalism was more concentrated in the late 1800's
and early 1900's, since it consisted of a few newspapers.  However, I think
a good argument could be made that because government was dramatically
smaller than today, that concentration was not nearly as detrimental as it
would be today under similar circumstances.

Jim Bell
[email protected]