Re: FLT 800: From the Rumor Mill...But It Makes Sense.. (fwd)

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Alan Horowitz wrote:

> The Aegis ship in the Gulf wzs not in an exercise. It was in a war zone.
>
> If my memory serves, the Iranian jetliner had its squawker turned off, or
> broken. The officer in charge in the CIC had about ten seconds to decide
> if he was about to be locked-on by a missle. And no real information to

I think it was actually a combination of a design flaw in the user
interface for the control system combined with a human error that led to
the radar officer confusing the airbus with an (F4?) a hundred miles away
that he'd previously clicked on.

-----
Cause maybe  (maybe)		      | In my mind I'm going to Carolina
you're gonna be the one that saves me | - back in Chapel Hill May 16th.
And after all			      | Email address remains unchanged
You're my firewall -    	      | ........First in Usenet.........