Re: Modem tax again?

Yes, isn't it interesting how they managed to turn this issue into their desire to "end a subsidy," when you know they would be terrified of REALLY ending the various telephone subsidies that are operating.  For years, businesses have paid more for telephone service than residences.  While this might have made sense in the era before digital switches, it does no longer.

Also,  the claim that "Internet users are overtaxing phone networks and ought to pay more for monthly service" isn't believable.  In my experience, the time between 9:30 pm and 11:00 pm is the only time which usually produces busy signals to my ISP, a time which is when, traditionally, telephone traffic is quite light as compared to peak hours.  I'd be happy to compare the "usage-factor versus time" of ISP's versus regular voice calls if I had the numbers, but I suspect that calls to local ISP's complement voice traffic rather than add to its peaks.

Jim Bell
[email protected]