Re: What the NSA is patenting

>>>United States Patent                   Patent Number:  5264794
>>>                                       Date of Patent: 23 Nov 1993
>>>
>>>Method of measuring magnetic fields on magnetically recorded media using a
>>>scanning tunneling microscope and magnetic probe

>>techology isn't much different from what's publicly available), in this case
>>all they were doing was protecting their investment (just like the various PKC
>>patents originally assigned to universities).

>I'm sure there's going to be a REALLY marketable device out of this to get
>royalties off of.

No, the market for the more mainstream MFM's is small (a few K devices), for
MFSTM's it's even smaller (a few dozen?).  MFSTM's are usually built by
universities for research purposes, which means the patent won't affect them.
As I said before, it's purely a "we paid for the research, we want some paper
to wave around to justify the cost" thing.

>Question: if we pay taxes, then we pay for the research. if we pay for the
>research, we should be able to see the results, just like shareholders in a
>company.

You can see the results, just read the Journal of Applied Physics or IEEE
Transactions on Magnetics.

I know people like to come up with conspiracy theories about the NSA, but this
patent won't work as the basis for one.

Peter.