RE: What is the EFF doing exactly?

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996 [email protected] wrote:

> This may be a hopelessly naive question, but is it possible to refuse payment in
> cash? Is it really good for all debts public and private?
>
> James
	I think this was mentioned a while back. If I recall correctly, a
business may not refuse cash for a debt already incurred, but may refuse
to allow you to incur said debt. That is, while cash is legal tender, a
business may still refuse it, on the principle that they may not be
compelled to provide service to any person or class of persons. In this
case, class of persons == those w/cash.

So, no, if you already had a contract or obligation, they may not refuse
payment in cash. They may try. However, walking up to a store counter or
a FedEx depot is a different matter. One only has to wonder about
restaurants which want to refuse cash...do you pay before eating, then?
Ask for proof of credit before opening service?

So far as I think...

-David Molnar