QDY_nam

   Science, 30 August 1996:

   "Enforcing Coherent Evolution in Dissipative Quantum
   Dynamics"

   Cirac, Pellizzari, Zoller

      [Precis] The major obstacle to the preparation and
      manipulation of many-particle entangled states is
      decoherence due to the coupling of the system to the
      environment. A scheme to correct for the effects of
      decoherence and enforce coherent evolution in the
      system dynamics is described and illustrated for the
      particular case of the ion-trap quantum computer.

   The preparation and manipulation of N-particle entangled
   states is fundamental to the investigation of basic
   aspects of quantum mechanics and is the basis of
   applications such as quantum computation, teleportation,
   cryptography. and spectroscopy.

   The error correction schemes proposed so far have focused
   on preserving a given entangled state (memory errors). We
   introduce a method to correct for the effects of
   decoherence in the dynamical proccss of preparation and
   modification of entangled states (gate errors). We
   illustrate our scheme in the context of the ion-trap QC.

   -----

   This 4-page paper is packed with equations. We will scan
   to JPEG for those without access to Science. Send us a
   blank message with the subject:  QDY_nam

   We have to enlarge the fine-print originals to make
   readable images, usually in the 150kb range. Does anyone
   know of a program to do text and equations for easy-
   reading, easy access to a Web site?