Re: Cypherpunks

> CypherPunks live so far from real-life, that it's impossible for them
> to communicate rationally.  Never having any danger in their lives,
> they want to avoid encountering any in "cyberspace".  They are trying
> to craft that new world according to their intellectual guidelines.
> Trying to make sure real-world annoyances have been removed.

No,

I can`t let that pass, the say that cypherpunks try to avoid danger
in real life and online is absolute rubbish.
The libertarian polotics embodied by the cypherpunk movement
encourages a way of life which is indeed more dangerous than other
type of society, annoyances are different, sure they try to avoid
annoyances, but this does not stretch as far as encouraging
censorship, its just that, from my point of view anyway, most
cypherpunks idea of a utopian society does not include big commerce,
which is associated with big government, indeed most of us find the
one minded lust for money of the junk mailers to be distasteful in
itself.

to say we attempt to create a "safe" society online and off is
correct but only in a superficial sense, I believe the cypherpunks
want a safe society as much as anyone else but believe that the best
way to achieve it is through individual liberty, not through
totalitarian statist government, furthermore cypherpunks and
libertarians as a whole accept that a dangerous society is an
inevitable consequence of a free society, but that this is a price
worth paying.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
     Paul Bradley, [email protected]
       Http://www.fatmans.demon.co.uk/crypt/