Re: Fed appellate judge remarks re anonymity, free speech on the net

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996 07:47:27 -0700 (PDT), Z.B. wrote:

>> >Even if this statute is meant only to apply to cigarette machines, which
>> >would seem to be the case given all of the anti-cig stuff going on now,
>> >what good will it do?
>>
>> Whoops. Sorry. Wrong context. What I should have said was "the 9th Circuit
>> upheld a CA statute forbidding sales of *printed* material considered
>> 'harmful to minors' from unsupervised vending machines". The publication(s)

>It's still mostly the same thing.  I've never seen the type of machine
>that you're talking about, and I don't think anyone would be dumb enough
>to install one in a store that is near a school, or frequented my
>minors.  This law just does not seem like a very good idea.

Where did you live?  I used to walk home from school (in Ventura, CA - about 1
hour away from LA) and see a vending machine selling copies of "LA X-Press" (Or
something like that) right next to the vending machines for the Star-Free Press
and the LA Times.  This was on the curb by a busy shopping center, on the block
opposite of the County of Ventura's government center. Hypothetically, it was
even plausibly deniable (the watchword of the Clintons) - "I was just buying
this copy of the newspaper." And before someone asks, no, I wasn't buying them.

# Chris Adams <[email protected]> | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
# [email protected] | V.M. (619)515-4894
"I have never been able to figure out why anyone would want to play games on
a computer in any case when the whole system is a game.  Word processing,
spreadsheets, telecoms -- it's all a game.  And they pay you to play it."
	-- Duncan Frissell