RE: Risk v. Charity (was: RE: Workers Paradise. /Politica...

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 [email protected] wrote:

> Black Unicorn <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 [email protected] wrote:
> >> Black Unicorn <[email protected]>
> >>
> >> Almost, but not quite. I'm saying that within our two countries at least
> >> (Canada, U.S.) everyone could have access to medically necessary
> >> procedures because the *society as a whole* can afford it.
> >
> >The decisions about what is or is not medically necessary must by
> >design be made by government in a socialized medicine regime.
>
> People do make decisions that affect other people. If you feel safer in the good
> hands of Allstate than at the government trough, good for you.

I feel safer in the hands of the market where Allstate is but one
insurance carrier.

> Personally, I trust in Allah, but I still tie up my camel.
>
> > This evades an important point as well.  Namely, who cares if society
> > can afford it?
>
> Some things are seen as investments in the future of a society. I view both
> Education and Health through this lens.

I'd like to hear the argument for Health.
I'd like to hear the argument for Education- particularly one which makes
socialized education systems the only, or even a good answer.

> >> But there is a balance between accurately pricing the risk and
> >> minimizing the cost of the bureacracy that polices this pricing.
> >
> > Oh, I see.  Let's give the program to the government then.  Good idea.
> > That will reduce the cost of the bureacracy.
>
> The point is still valid. Are we not trying to minimize this cost?

Now explain how government will reduce bureacracy and minimize cost
please.  Cite, if you will, a few examples.

> >> There are also many ways to modify behaviour, not all of them direct.
> >
> > And all of them buy into the notion that people are not to be made
> > personally responsible for their high risk behavior.
>
> There it is again. Blame the sick for their lack of moral fibre.

Blame the rich for their condition.

> Not every victim of lung cancer smokes.

I'll tell you what.  I will give you a dollar for every non-smoking
related lung cancer case, if you give me one for every smoking related
case.

> Besides, people are notoriously poor at
> evaluating the probability of unlikely events (see reference below). A
> "punishment" that happens 30 years after the "crime" is no deterrent.
> Prevention is usually cheaper than treatment.

And now please describe how government and socialized medicine are better
at preventing lung cancer.

> > I prefer market solutions.
>
> I prefer solutions.

Now please explain how government provides a superior solution.

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
[email protected]