Re: The GAK Momentum is Building...

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Date: Wed Sep 18 11:57:32 1996
Lucky wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Jim Ray wrote:

[my stuff about a small "victory" elided.]

> Nope. It is a Cypherpunk loss. The use of the term "key recovery" for GAK
> now fully obfuscates the distinction between accessing a
> backup copy by the legitimate owner (or his estate, employer, etc.) and
> GAK. Many PKIs will support the former type of key recovery. And for good
> reasons. Thanks to the brainwashers using the same term for GAK, it will
> now become impossible to tell from a basic description of a PKI if it
> supports GAK or not. Furthermore, those who oppose the latter type of key
> recovery (us!), will be pushed further into the fringe by the media
> now being able to mix up our arguments against GAK with arguing against
> true key recovery. [Do you notice the weird constructs I have to use to
> distinguish the two meanings? One of them being new...]

Upon further reflection, I agree with Lucky. I will say that the _really_
bad news is that our opponents seem to be getting smarter. <sigh> Or else
I'm just getting dumber. :(

Also: If any more of you have comments for Judge Kozinski, please send them
to me soon. Comments from stable nyms (such as you, Lucky) are especially
appreciated, and with your permission I will include this message. Please
tell me if you want me to include your e-mail address in the message to
Judge Kozinski. TIA.
JMR

Regards, Jim Ray -- DNRC Minister of Encryption Advocacy

"As govt.s grow arithmetically, corruption grows exponentially."
 -- Ray's Law of official corruption.

 Defeat the Duopoly!             Stop the Browne out.
 Harry Browne for President. Jo Jorgensen for Vice-president.
 http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/   http://www.twr.com/stbo
PGP id.E9BD6D35 51 5D A2 C3 92 2C 56 BE  53 2D 9C A1 B3 50 C9 C8
I will generate a new (and bigger) PGP key-pair on election night.
<mailto:[email protected]> http://www.shopmiami.com/prs/jimray