Re: DL in exchange for fingerprint

Black Unicorn <[email protected]> writes:
> > Do you simply drive without a valid driver's license? I know some folks who
> > do, of course, but it's not something that's "worth it" to me.
>
> Some jurisdictions (D.C. is a good example) are such a joke it's not
> funny.  An associate of mine literally MADE his own Italian Driver's
> license and turned it in, took an eye test, and walked out with a nice new
> D.C. license.

In NYC a very high percentage of drivers don't have licences, have suspended
licences, etc. Generally no one has the time to bother with them unless they
want to nail them for something else. A couple of years ago we were involved in
a minor car accident with a Chassidic Jew who tried to leave the scene of the
accident. My wife chased him and stopped him. :-) The cops came and discovered
that he had no papers (including no driver's licence, no insurance, etc). They
gave him about $500 worth of tickets for driving without a licence, leaving the
scene of an accident, etc (which I rather doubt he was planning to pay) and let
him drive on (still without the licence).

---