Re: Assassination Politics, was Kiddie porn on the Internet

On Sat, 21 Sep 1996, jim bell wrote:

> >>I think "Lord of the Flies" answers this question quite well.
> >
> >Does it?  LOTF was fiction.  Can you identify a recent instance in which a
> >non-governmental organization attempted to influence political/military
> >events via a concerted AP?
>
> As you understand, I really have to question anybody who would take an
> extraordinarily contrived work of fiction like LOTF and exrtrapolate from it
> as some sort of "answer" to AP.  However, Unicorn is sufficiently confused
> that it's not surprising that this would come from him.
>
> While it's been well over two decades since I read it, LOTF engages in the
> artifice of separating out a handful of near-pre-adolescent boys, who don't
> seem to get along particularly well while stuck on an island after being
> shot down during a war.  (Presumably, WWII.)  It's hard to understand what
> kind of lesson we could learn from this, particularly since one person's
> opinion of what might happen should such an extraordinary and unlikely event
> occur can't be all that more significant or valuable than another.
>
> Or, what if such an event actually happened, and the outcome was quite
> different?  What would that say about Golding's opinions?   Or, suppose a
> similar event occurred, but instead of a dozen boys it was a co-ed college's
> students, or a few geriatrics, or a family, or a few middle-aged women,
> or...what?    What, exactly, are we learning from one specific speculation
> that Golding happened to want to commit to paper?
>
> Unfortunately (or, perhaps _fortunately_?) I don't think we're going to hear
> from Unicorn why he thinks one particular dime novel is any more
> revelational about human behavior than any other.

Your "grasp" of literature gives the list my answer without me having to
say a word.

I notice you chose to ignore the factual political examples I gave.  Not
that this surprises me.  "Your" concept, of rule by terror, has thousands
of examples in historical context.

I simply refuse to debate the matter any longer as it is clear you are not
open to reasoned debate, nor, it would seem, are you clearly possessed of
reason.

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
[email protected]