Re: Bernstein hearing: The Press Release

> >There may be certain circumstances under which speech can be directly harmful.
> >Military operations and missle launch codes are things that should be kept
> >secret.  Information about high-powered weapons should be too.  If the
> Japanese
> >had been able to get information about how to build A-bombs during WWII, major
> >cities in the U.S. probably would have been completely wiped out.  I don't
> like
> >the idea that the government has the power to decide what's harmful and what
> >isn't, but there are beneficial uses of the provision.
>
> The few examples that exist, as you've selected them above, seem to be
> almost entirely based on military secrets in time of war.  It is not clear
> whether a non-security clearance civilian is restricted in any way, nor
> should he be.

You must remember there is a distinction to information in-confidence,
and information generated independntly. It is only the breech of confidence
that should be penalised, not the information itself.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons