Re: GPS [MARGINAL, at best]

There was an article in _Scientific American_ February 1996 about GPS.  I
couldn't find the magazine, but they had this squib on the www.sciam.com
website:

  �The Global Positioning System�
  Thomas A. Herring
  Two dozen satellites hovering thousands of miles up can locate your
  position on the earth's surface to within a few centimeters.
  Originally constructed for military applications, this network of
  space beacons today finds civilian applications--such as landing
  airplanes in fog--that demand accuracy beyond what its designers had
  thought would be technically possible.

According to the website, there was also a letter in the June 1996 issue
responding to Herring�s article.  Here it is:

  MILITARY ADVANTAGE

  I was pleased when I first saw your February article "The Global
  Positioning System," by Thomas A. Herring. As developers and operators
  of GPS, we in the Department of Defense and our partners in industry
  are justifiably proud of the technology. GPS represents the best of
  American scientific and technical ingenuity as well as being an
  excellent example of cooperation between the military and civilian
  sectors. But after reading the entire article, I was disappointed by
  its unbalanced discussion of the national security aspects of GPS.

  Yes, the Defense Department does operate GPS with unpopular security
  features. But these features were not designed to inconvenience the
  peaceful users of the system, as Herring implies. Rather they were
  designed to provide U.S. and allied forces with a crucial military
  edge. Furthermore, the Defense Department is well aware that the
  security aspects of GPS are an additional burden for many users. And
  while we believe such measures are still needed at this time to help
  preserve our military advantage, we have set a goal of discontinuing
  regular use of the feature known as Selective Availability, the
  component that degrades GPS accuracy, within a decade.

  Both time and resources are needed to replace the advantages Selective
  Availability provides. In light of the revolutionary contributions of
  GPS to both military and commercial enterprise, Herring could have
  portrayed the technology in a more evenhanded manner.

  PAUL G. KAMINSKI
  Under Secretary
  Department of Defense

-- end of quoted material --

The article, as I recall, was about ways in which civilian users have
found, or are finding, ways around the built-in inaccuarcy of the GPS.

I don't recall whether crypto was mentioned in the article.  My
recollection of it was that they had been diddling with the timers or the
clock signal or something, as opposed to encrypting anything.  But then
again it has been a while, and my memory of it isn't too clear.

I seem to remember another crypto scheme discussed here at length about
GPS, based on a paper by Dr. Dorothy [?] Denning, which involved having
the intended recipient's coordinates - which were somehow involved in the
encryption.

The coordinates are in 3-D.  Spheres centered on three of the GPS
satellites intersect within a very small space.
--
 public service announcement: